Gauge Installation and Intensive Discharge Measurement of Arun River for Kimathanka Arun Hydroelectric Project
Project: Kimathanka Arun Hydroelectric Project
Assignment: Gauge Installation and Intensive Discharge Measurement of Arun River for Kimathanka Arun Hydroelectric Project
Location: Sankhuwasabha District, Nepal
Client: NEA Engineering Company Limited
Duration: March 2018 to September 2019
Project Description: Kimathanka Arun Hydroelectric Project is a Peaking RoR project of installed capacity of 450 MW. Kimathanka Arun HEP is northern most project proposed along the Arun river located in Sankhuwasabha district. The headworks of the project is located roughly 2.5 km South of the Nepal China border. The project has catchment area of 24,836 km2 and uses design discharge of 143 m3/s. It generates total annual energy of 2590 GWh.
Scope of Services:
1. Supply, Delivery and Installation of manual staff gauge in Arun River at Dam of Kimathanka Arun HEP, 1 nos x 5 m;
2. Conducting discharge measurement from Suspension bridge using current meter by Sounding Reel method, maximum measured discharge 535.96 m3/s in 2018 and 539.05 m3/s in 2019;
3. In total, there are 29 discharge measurements starting from January 2018 to September 2019. It includes discharge measurement once a month during monsoon period (June to September) and twice a month during the remaining period.
4. Submission of monthly discharge measurement report including site photographs of discharge measurement works.
5. Development of rating curve using measured flow data and corresponding Water Levels and submission of final report;
6. Equipment Used:
• USGS standardized Current Meter set;
• 75/35-pound fish weight;
• 45m long sounding reel; and
• Four-wheel type crane with pulley system.