Sediment Sampling and Laboratory Tests in Nepal Gandak West Canal and Narayani River
Project: Nepal Gandak West Canal Irrigation Project
Assignment: Sediment Sampling and Laboratory Tests in Nepal Gandak West Canal and Narayani River
Location: Nawalparasi District, Nepal
Client: Nepal Gandak West Canal Irrigation Management Office
Duration: June 2019 to November 2019
Project Description: Nepal Gandak West Canal Irrigation Project aims to improve irrigated agriculture productivity and management of Gandak Irrigation System (GIS). The system was designed with a capacity of 8.5 m3/sec to irrigate 8700 ha of land within Nawalparasi District of Central Terai region. The offtake to the system is a simple side intake constructed at 600 m upstream of the Barrage constructed at Tribeni bazzar in the border of Nepal and India to provide irrigation facility to the two states of India, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. Similarly, two additional offtakes have been provided in the West Main Canal (WMC)and named as Piparpati and Prasauni branch with the additional irrigation facility to 1600 ha.
Scope of Services:
1. Discussion with the client about the tentative location to carry out sediment sampling;
2. Collection, gathering and transportation of all the materials and equipment;
3. Appoint a local technician identified by the client for carrying out the sampling on daily basis;
4. Train the site technician to carry out the sampling by point sampling method and in numbers as specified in ToR;
5. After Transportation of the sediment samples collected in the site to the lab at Kathmandu by the client, Concentration, Mineral and Particle Size Distribution analysis of those samples;
6. Water Quality Test of the water samples brought from the site and
7. Report preparation and submission.
8. Equipment used to take samples using point sampling method:
a) Polylab bottles of 0.5 L capacity, Lab thermometer, funnel and water tightening accessories;
b) Filtration system, Drying Oven and weighing accessories;
c) Microscope for Mineral content analysis; and
d) Particle Size Analyzer for Particle Size Distribution Analysis.